Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

A GREAT EXPERIENCE..your help needed

First, after the tremendous rains here the very day after I posted about how dry it has been in Texas.. Thanks, God, we needed that. However, the lakes south of us are all good. We are still 20 feet down. Coul you do it again, only this time concentrate on the area between Denton & Gainsville on the west and Mckinney and Sherman on the East. That ought to include the watersheds which feed opur 2 lakes, Ray Roberts & Lewisville.
The Element is great,I love drvivng it. It is quieter , faster and better handling than I expected.

Today was the kickoff for The Lone Star Ride Fighting AIDS.
My involvement with this has been one of the best, most meaningful things in my life.
Dan started riding on the predecessor ride the Tanquarery Texas Aids Ride II. many years ago.
The proudest moment of my life was when Dan held his bike over his head in triumph at the closing ceremonies held at the Kennedy Memeorial in downtown Dallas.
He had ridden his bike 350 miles in 4 days! One day was 103 miles!
The for pay group who put onr those rides spent so much money on the ride that the organizations who were the beneficiaries did not make enough money to be worth continuing.
So, the Lone Star Ride Fighting AIDS was born.
This ride is run by volunteers, and is entirely supported by sponsors.
To date EVERY cent of the pledges and even a portion of the rider and crew registration fees has gone to the beneficiaries.
It is truly a sucess story! It is an act of love by those involved. The riders and crew are all such wonderful people that I will always keep coming back.
Please consider riding or crewing if you want a life changing experience.
Or, if you would prefer, please pledge to support the ride or the individual riders.
Each rides has to raise a minimum of $1,000 to ride, but the more the better. If you would care to support a rider please contact me for information.There will be several of us involved, including Dan, Jonathan, Kathy and myself.
There will be more on the ride coming up in later posts, but for starters check out http://www.lonestarride.org for information.
Or, you can check out an old site I did several years ago when I rode on the ride. Since then I have been on the crew. Due to my congestive heart failure the heart muscle is very thick and does not pump very efficently. After a year of hard training I did the ride. I always had trouble keeping up. I can do the distance, but not in the time required to fit the schedule. I would still be riding after dark.
But, who knows, I will be riding with my friends on their training rides and I may decide to try again.
The old site is http://www.bikeboys.iwarp.com
All For now. Deacon Harry





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?