Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

My First Post
Why would I decide to create my own blog? Because I have something to say.
I recently created a stir when I forwarded an editorial to several members of our church about the hurricane refugees from New Orleans .
It seems that Barbara Bush had visited the shelter in the Astrodome and upon leaving she had commented that "Most of them were poor so they would come out of this ok."I guess she believed that the money they would receive from the government would make up for everything they had lost.
The editorial went on to suggest that perhaps Barbara would care to change places with a transgender lady from New Orleans who was arrested at a shelter at Texas A&M for using the women's shower. She was held in jail for 6 days because she had no one post her bail.
My thought about the whole thing was that Barbara Bush had proven herself to be a person who was truly disconnected from what was happening to others around her. She had shown herself to consider the poor to be less worthy than herself.
When I had first read of the Trans at Texas A&M I was moved to the point of near tears because two trans members of our church are in my shepherding flock and I have gotten to know them both very well.
What if it had been one of them in jail for 6 days form taking a shower!
Another member of the church pointed out to me that "After all, it was at A&M "so that should explain it and make it ok.
He missed the point entirely! As responsible, caring Christians it is our duty to speak out. If no one points out the need for change in society and stands up for what's right then change will never happen.
It was also pointed out that my e-mails, sent from me to a few friends within our church might cause them to take away our church 501c3 tax exempt status. It might bring down the wrath of the current administration on us.
Come off it! This was not even a church related e-mail!
Besides, I spent 35 years of my life trying to deny who I am. Trying not to be the way that God made me! I am way beyond the closet and I refuse to go back in.
So, I am creating this Blog. I hope some people will read it and that it might start a few minds to thinking... Deacon Harry

Comments:
You go Deacon Harry!!! I totally agree in that we should all stand up for what we believe and speak out against injustices that we see.. AND YES Barbie Bush has no clue about real life and real suffering..Maya Angelou once said " To see or hear an injustice and NOT speak up, Makes us equally as guilty as the doer".
 
Harry, Great blog. You really have some timely, eyeopening and moving entries. Thanks for sharing them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?